You might find it helpful to look at the sim.hmm() function in the "hmm.discnp" package, or the simHMM() function in the "HMM" package.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

On 03/06/14 21:17, Bukar Alhaji wrote:
Dear R buddies,

Sorry for this silly question but am new to R. I am trying to
generate states and observations to be use for Bayesian Hidden Markov
Models analysis where i intend using mixture of Poisson and Negative
binomial as emulsion. I use the code below to generate states and
observations for homogeneous HMM . I would like to know if i
correctly generated the data.

pii = c(0.6,0.4)
p1 <- matrix(c(0.8,0.2,0.3,0.7),byrow=TRUE,nrow=2)

     NUM = 200
     theta<-rep(0, NUM)
     x<-rep(0, NUM)

     ## generating the states
     # initial state
     theta[1]<-rbinom(1, 1, pii[1])
     # other states
     for (i in 2:NUM)
     {
       if (theta[i-1]==0)
         theta[i]<-rbinom(1, 1, p1[1, 1])
       else
         theta[i]<-rbinom(1, 1, p1[2, 1])
     }

     ## generating the observations

     for (i in 1:NUM)
     {
       if (theta[i]==0)
       {
         x[i]<-rpois(1, 5)
       }
       else
       {
         x[i]<-rnbinom(1, 3, 0.3)
       }
     }
     data<-list(s=theta, o=x, p1 = p1, pii = pii)