Dear all,

I have a fresh install of R on a virtual desktop running Win 7 64 bit and
when I try to install packages it is extremely slow.

I typed
install.packages("ggplot2",dependencies=TRUE)

and it takes about 1 minute for the mirror select box to open. After that I
waited about 20 minutes for the ggplot package and then cancelled it
(smaller packages are quicker than that but still exceptionally slow).

Not sure where to start as other programs work fine and the internet
connection is fine apart from in R. I have pasted Sessioninfo below. Any
help is very much appreciated.

many thanks
Aidan.

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252

attached base packages: