I have a dataset of peptide 15N/14N ratios from four experiments (where
cells are grown under different conditions and were fed either 15N or 14N
nitrate aka plant food if you are interested) and I want to normalize each
of these ratios to the median 15N/14N value from all >6000 peptides from
each experiment.  Then, since these ratios (from 2 or more peptides) are
used to calculate the protein 15N/14N abundance, I want to take the median
value of all peptides belonging to one protein to calculate the overall
protein 15N/14N abundance within that experiment.

I’ve managed to break the data set into small pieces (by protein and by
experiment), which will lead to about 500 observations.

A dummy – small – dataset could look like this (below), where V1 lists the
peptides that make up a protein, V2 is the protein ID, V3 is the metric of
interest (the 15N/14N ratio of each peptide), and V4 indicates which
experiment was run.

The stumbling block here is that I cannot index the median function.

Here is what I have done so far.

y<-read.table(“nameoffile.txt”)

h<-split(y,y$V4)

for(n in names(h))

write.table(h[[n]],
file=paste(y[[n]][,”V4”][4],”_”,n,”.TXT”,sep=””))

Then I (not elegantly but OK with brute force method for four files) went
into each file and calculated the median

vls1<-read.table(“VLS5584_VLS5584.TXT”)  # for example, but did this four
times for each file

newcol=vls1[,3]/median(vls1[,3])

normvls1=cbind(vls1,newcol)

nvls1prot<-split(normvls1,normvls1$V2)

for(n in
names(nvls1prot))write.table(nvls1prot[[n]],file=paste(nvls1prot[[n]][,"V4"][1],"_",
n,".TXT",sep=""))

Then I took this output in windows explorer and moved it to a new folder.
Set working directory to that folder.

And, lifted from a help page and tweaked to my liking..

for (i in 1:length(txtfiles)){

  tmp = read.table(txtfiles[i])

  xyz = data.frame(tmp)

  normHL = xyz[[5]]

    median[i] = median(normHL)

}

But after that, I get the following error message.

Error in median[i] = median(normHL) :

  object of type 'closure' is not subsettable

Thanks,

Adam Kustka

SEAEFVNYQVR

B5YLU3