Hello,

I am new to R progaming and have just started using this program since last
week. What i want to achieve is to use R to determine patterns in sales/
customer complaint etc. information located in a mysql database. I am not sure
how to approach this or which technique i should use to do so. However, i had
proceeded to add a dataset to RStudio using the following code:
library(RODBC)
dsn.name <- "MySQLlocal"
user.name <- "orange"
pwd <- ""
ch <- odbcConnect(dsn=dsn.name,uid=user.name,pwd = pwd)
res <- sqlFetch(ch, "<my_table_name>")
odbcQuery(ch, "Select * from <my_table_name>")
odbcClose(ch)

When the code is run all that is returned is
> library (RODBC)
> dsn.name <- "MySQLlocal"
 > user.name <- "orange"
> pwd <- ""
> ch <- odbcConnect(dsn=dsn.name,uid=user.name,pwd = pwd)
> res <- sqlFetch(ch, "<my_table_name>")
> odbcQuery(ch, "Select * from <my_table_name>")
 [1] 1
> odbcClose(ch)

No other results.
I was expecting to see the table values or some other data. Not that.
Maybe I am misunderstanding the whole concept of how R works.
If so could someone please help me to clarify what the problem is and perhaps
point me to a tutorial or somewhere i can get a information and get a better
understanding.

Thank you. Your Help will be greatly appreciated.

Gayon Clarke