Hi,

I am trying to do Box-Cox transformation, but I am not sure how to do it
correctly.  Here is an example showing what I am trying:

# example from MASS

require(MASS)
boxcox(Days+1 ~ Eth*Sex*Age*Lrn, data = quine,
       lambda = seq(-0.05, 0.45, len = 20))

# Here is My attempt at getting the profile likelihood for the Box-Cox parameter
lam <- seq(-0.05, 0.45, len = 20)
dev <- rep(NA, length=20)

for (i in 1:20) {
a <- lam[i]
ans <- glm(((Days+1)^a-1)/a ~ Eth*Sex*Age*Lrn, family=gaussian, data = quine)
dev[i] <- ans$deviance
}

plot(lam, dev, type="b", xlab="lambda", ylab="deviance")

I am trying to create the profile likelihood for the Box-Cox parameter, but
obviously I am not getting it right.  I am not sure that ans$deviance is the
right thing to do.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks & Best,
Ravi