Circumventing content protection measures or picky server configurations such
as this appears to be tends to involve HTTP protocol details that are off topic
here, though someone may tackle your problem anyway and report back. Once you
know what your protocol needs are (perhaps with the help of the Firebug Firefox
developer tools) and have read the R documentation for the functions and
packages you are using, asking for clarification on the documentation would be
fair game here.

I tried setting the HTTPUserAgent string using the options function [1] but
that didn't help.

Oh, and please read the Posting Guide mentioned at the bottom of all R-help
posts, which points out that you should send plain text emails to this list.
HTML is a what-you-see-is-not-necessarily-what-we-see format.

[1] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2007-November/145811.html
DCN:<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing