I am getting strange behavior when trying to fit models to large datasets using bam. I am working on a 4-core machine, but I think that there may be 2 physical cores that the computer uses as 4 cores in some sense that I don't understand.

When I run the bam using makeCluster(3), the model runs on one core. But when I run it on makeCluster(2), top shoes me that three of my cores are taken up to full capacity, and my computer slows down or crashes.

How can I get it to truly run on 2 cores?

I'm on a thinkpad X230, running ubuntu.

Thanks,
Andrew