Rui

Thanks. This works great. Below, I get the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rows/columns:

> (a<-matrix(1:36,6,6))
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6]
[1,]    1    7   13   19   25   31
[2,]    2    8   14   20   26   32
[3,]    3    9   15   21   27   33
[4,]    4   10   16   22   28   34
[5,]    5   11   17   23   29   35
[6,]    6   12   18   24   30   36
> (j<-matrix(c(0,1,0,1,0,1)))
     [,1]
[1,]    0
[2,]    1
[3,]    0
[4,]    1
[5,]    0
[6,]    1
> ((a[as.logical(j), as.logical(j)]))
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    8   20   32
[2,]   10   22   34
[3,]   12   24   36

Steven Yen

At 02:49 PM 10/26/2014, Rui Barradas wrote:
Sorry, that should be

t(a[as.logical(j), as.logical(j)])

Rui Barradas

Em 26-10-2014 18:45, Rui Barradas escreveu:
Hello,

Try the following.

a[as.logical(j), as.logical(j)]

# or
b <- a[as.logical(j), ]
t(b)[as.logical(j), ]

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Em 26-10-2014 18:35, Steven Yen escreveu:
Dear

I am interested in selecting rows and columns of a matrix with a
criterion defined by a binary indicator vector. Let  matrix a be

 > a<-matrix(1:16, 4,4,byrow=T)
      [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]    1    2    3    4
[2,]    5    6    7    8
[3,]    9   10   11   12
[4,]   13   14   15   16

Elsewhere in Gauss, I select the first and third rows and columns of a
by defining a column vector j = [1,0,1,0]. Then, select the rows of a
using j, and then selecting the rows of the transpose of the resulting
matrix using j again. I get the 2 x 2 matrix as desired. Is there a way
to do this in R? below are my Gauss commands. Thank you.

---

1
0
1