On Tue, 28 Oct 2014, Erasmo Papagni wrote:

Hello,

Using the package strucchange to implement Bai-Perron methods I found that sometimes intervals between 2 break dates are exactly equal to the minimum that I set in the command "breakpoints". I think this is a problem and a signal of possible different breaks with a trimming value lower than the one I specified.

Yes, that's possible. You can easily explore, though, how the results change if you require a smaller minimal segment size. The idea is that the minimal segment size needs to be big enough to lead to reliable parameter estimates but small enough to be below the smalles true segment size. Then, if the minimal segment size is neither too small or too large, then the results shouldn't be affected (much) by the precise value of the minal segment size.

This case arises in Bai-Perron 2003 when they apply their methodology to the Phillips curve: the distance between the dates 1967 and 1975 is 8 years, and is equal to the minimum allowed.

Yes, however in help("PhillipsCurve", package = "strucchange") we also explore some additional specifications with a smaller value which still yields the same breakpoints.

However, I think that this particular data set and model are not bad but it's probably fair to say that they are not the most convincing case for structural change techniques either.

Best,

Thanks a lot

Erasmo Papagni

Departemnt of Economics