Nice graph, Scott, thanks!

Based on your code I plotted not the absolute numbers but the ratios, which show slowly increasing relative participation of female Rhelpers over time (red = women, blue=men, black=unknown). After a c. 5% female contribution in 1998, this has grown to about 15% now. At this rate we'll reach parity around AD 2080.

My code:

if (!require(gender)) {
library(devtools)
install_github("scottkosty/gender")
library(gender)
}
rHelp <- rHelpNames
rHelp[is.na(rHelp$gender), "gender"] <- "unknown"

yr <- unique(rHelp$year)

helpers <- list(dates, M=rep(0, length(yr)), F=rep(0, length(yr)), unkn=rep(0, length(yr)))

for(i in 1:nrow(rHelp))
 {
  j <- which(yr == rHelp$year[i])
  gender <- rHelp$gender[i]
  if(gender == "M")
   helpers$M[[j]] <- helpers$M[[j]]+1 else
    if(gender == "F")
     helpers$F[[j]] <- helpers$F[[j]]+1 else
      if(gender == "unknown")
       helpers$unkn[[j]] <- helpers$unkn[[j]]+1
 }
plot(yr, helpers$M / (helpers$M+helpers$F+helpers$unkn), type="l", col=4, ylim=c(0,1), ylab="proportions", yaxs="i") lines(yr, helpers$F / (helpers$M+helpers$F+helpers$unkn), col=2)
lines(yr, helpers$unkn / (helpers$M+helpers$F+helpers$unkn))

Cheers,

Maarten