On 12/5/2014 11:24 AM, Kate Ignatius wrote:
I have genetic information for several thousand individuals:

A/T
T/G
C/G  etc

For some individuals there are some genotypes that are like this:  A/,
C/, T/, G/ or even just / which represents missing and I want to
change these to the following:

A/ A/.
C/ C/.
G/ G/.
T/ T/.
/ ./.
/A ./A
/C ./C
/G ./G
/T ./T

I've tried to use gsub with a command like the following:

gsub("A/","[A/.]", GT[,6])

Hi Kate -- a different approach is to create a 'map' (named character vector) describing what you want in terms of what you have; the number of possible genotypes is not large.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15912210/replace-a-list-of-values-by-another-in-r/15912309#15912309

Martin

but if genotypes arent like the above, the command will change it to
look something like:

A/.T
T/.G
C/.G

Is there anyway to be more specific in gsub?

Thanks!

Dr. Martin Morgan, PhD
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Ave. N.