On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Mike Miller wrote:

res <- residuals( model )

resStd <- ( res - mean( res, na.rm=TRUE ) ) / sd( res, na.rm=TRUE )

Another issue is how to make the theoretical quantiles for the normal distribution. There are a few methods:

https://www.statsdirect.com/help/data_preparation/normal_scores.htm

I usually use Blom:

r <- rank( resStd )
c <- 3/8
N <- sum( !is.na( resStd ) )
resNorm <- qnorm( ( r - c ) / ( N - 2*c + 1 ) )
resNorm[ is.nan( resNorm ) ] <- NA

Then you could plot it directly:

plot(resNorm, resStd)

When we use qqnorm() in R, it looks like R is using a Blom method with c=1/2 instead of c=3/8. I believe Blom recommended 3/8 and programs that offer Blom normal scores use c=3/8.

I don't know if that was off-track because the OP was asking about density, but he also was asking about checking the distribution of residuals, so maybe this is appropriate.

I should add, if you don't mind using R's c=1/2, you can get the normal scores very quickly this way:

resNorm <- qqnorm( residuals( model ), plot.it=FALSE )$x