The perils of backwards compatability....

During computation the important quantity is loglik + penalty. That is what is contained in the third element of the loglik vector.

Originally that is also what was printed, but I later realized that for statistical inference one wants the loglik and penalty to be separate, e.g. the AIC is based on the loglik and the degrees of freedom. So I changed the printout to give
   loglik at beta=0,  integrated loglik at solution,  ordinary loglik at
solution
(Integrated and ordinary are the same at beta=0).

But, because I was worried that some people would have been reading the results in a program (like you are), I didn't want to break their code so left the internal variable alone. It appears that I traded "maybe safer" for "certain confusion".

Terry Therneau