See below.

On 18/04/15 12:04, Jim Lemon wrote:

Hi Iryna,
The two paths seem to be a "user" path (one beneath your home
directory) and a "system" path (one in another branch of the directory
tree). You usually have to have superuser privileges to write files in
the second. In most *NIX systems you use "su" to become "root" (the
superuser), and if you can do this, then perform the update.

Jim:

(1) The OP seems to be using a Mac OSX system (which has Unix underlying a great deal of gloppedy obfuscating point-and-click crap).

(2) My reading of the help for install.packages() leads me to believe that by default the requested package should be installed into the *first* entry of .libPaths(), whence no superuser privileges should be required. It is mysterious to me why the system seems to be intent on using the *second* entry of .libPaths() so that superuser privileges *are* required.

(3) Since this is Mac OSX stuff, the OP might get better mileage by posting on R-Sig-Mac.

cheers,

Rolf

Jim

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Iryna Nikolayeva