On 22/04/2015 05:43, Rob Skelly wrote:
Hello,

I am using GDAL 2.0 for most of my work, but rgdal depends on GDAL < 2. I
have built and installed GDAL 1.11.2 in /opt/gdal-1.11.2, and rgdal
compiles and installs into R, using the following command:

sudo R CMD INSTALL
--configure-args="--with-gdal-config=/opt/gdal.1.11.2/bin/gdal-config"
rgdal-0.9-2.tar.gz

However when R attempts to load rgdal at the end of the installation, it
fails with the error,

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared object
'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
   /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so: undefined symbol:
_ZN10OGRPolygon7addRingEP13OGRLinearRing

The addRing method on OGRPolygon seems to be a relic of GDAL 1.11.2 and no
longer exists in 2.0, so R is loading libgdal from /usr/local/lib, not
/opt/gdal-1.11.2/lib. I have confirmed this by temporarily moving the
1.11.2 libs into /usr/local, where it works fine.

You can *really* confirm where things are found via R CMD ldd ... see the manual.

So, the question is, how to I convince R to use the new library search
path? I'm on xubuntu, and R is installed using apt.

You either use the ld options when building rgdal.so (e.g. for your OS -Wl,-rpath=/opt/gdal-1.11.2/lib) or you link statically. The latter is easier and safer ... just build a static GDAL.

Many projects set -R/-rpath flags in their config scripts: it is something you could suggest to the GDAL maintainers (and finding them is part of libtool which GDAL uses).

But (see the posting guide) the generic question belonged on R-devel and questions about rgdal on R-sig-geo.

Thanks,
Rob

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK