ibswitch02      node005
ibswitch02      node006
ibswitch03      node007
ibswitch03      node008
ibswitch03      node009

in the file "topology.txt"

and the following code:

library("igraph")
topo_data <- read.csv(file="topology.txt",head=FALSE,sep="\t")
network_data <-graph.data.frame(topo_data, directed=F)
plot(network_data)

it takes about 5 seconds for the plot to be drawn with R 3.2.0 on a
12-core 2.67 GHz Xeon X5650 server with no other CPU-intensive processes
running.

This strikes me as rather slow, particularly as my full network has over
120 components and the plot takes around 50 seconds.

Am I doing anything wrong?

(I am working over an ssh connection with X forwarding, but plotting to
a PDF file on the server does not seem to be faster.)

Cheers,

Loris