On 03/07/15 20:09, Federico Calboli wrote:
Hi All,

I am upgrading a package for CRAN, and I get this note:

checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... NOTE Malformed Description
field: should contain one or more complete sentences.

This is puzzling because:

cat DESCRIPTION

association and for pleiotropy on genetic and genomic data. ...

In my understanding "Functions designed to test for single
gene/phenotype association and for pleiotropy on genetic and genomic
data.” *is* a complete sentence.  So, what is complete sentence in
the opinion of whomever coded that check?

If that is your understanding you need to go back to school and learn some grammar. What you have is a noun ("Functions") modified by an adjectival clause. No verb in sight. Ergo *not* a complete sentence.

OTOH you are probably in good company in not knowing your grammar. The CRAN folks most likely don't know grammar either. I suspect that they *don't* actually demand a complete sentence. Such a demand would in fact be rather pedantic. Moreover I really can't see how the package checker could possibly check for complete sentences. This would require some very sophisticated programming, it seems to me.

If it turns out that you *really* need a complete sentence, you could say (for instance):

This package consists of functions designed to test for single gene/phenotype association and for pleiotropy on genetic and genomic data.

The foregoing *is* a complete sentence.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--