I am sorry I did not provide enough information.
I am not using img later, but data that is data.frame.
I wrote that img is a "image" just to explain what kind of data is coming
from, but the object I am using is data and it is a data.frame (checked many
times).

I am not using as.dist, but dist in order to calculate the distance matrix
among the data I have. Then the whole code I am using is:

data <- <- as(img, "data.frame")[1:1]    #(where img is an image 256x256 px)
kl <- kmeans(data, 5)
library(fpc)
ddata <- dist(data)
dcent <- dist(kl$centers)

cluster.stats(ddata, kl$cluster)
cluster.stats(dcent, kl$cluster)

In both cases I got the same error:
Error in as.dist(dmat[clustering == i, clustering == i]) :  (subscript)
logical subscript too long

Below the structure of the different objects is detailed below:
data is "'data.frame':   262144 obs. of  1 variable"
kl$centers is "num [1:5, 1]"
kl$cluster is "Named int [1:262144]"

I hope it is more informative. I am sorry but I did not find any explanation
for the error message I am getting.

Thank you very much in advance

Laura

2008/6/14 Christian Hennig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The given information is not enough to tell you what's going on. as.dist
> doesn't appear in the given code and it's not clear to me what kind of
> object img is ("a small image" doesn't tell me what R makes of it).
> Also, try to read the help pages first and find out whether img is of the
> format that is required by the functions. And check (using str for example)
> whether "data" is what you expect it to be.
>
> Christian
>

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Laura Poggio wrote:
>
>  Thank you very much for your answer.
>> I tried to run the function on my data and now I am getting this message
>> of
>> error
>> Error in as.dist(dmat[clustering == i, clustering == i]) :  (subscript)
>> logical subscript too long
>>
>> Below the code I am using (version2.7.0 of R with all packages updated):
>>
>> data <- <- as(img, "data.frame")[1:1]    #(where img is a small image 256
>> px
>> x 256 px)
>> kl <- kmeans(data, 5)
>> library(fpc)
>> cluster.stats(data, kl$cluster)
>>
>> Thank you for any hints on the reasons and meaning of the error!
>>
>> Laura
>>

>> 2008/6/13 Christian Hennig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>>  Dear Laura,
>>>
>>>  Dear list,

>>> d is allowed to be an object of class dist or a dissimilarity matrix.
>>> The answer to your question depends on what your "original matrix" is. If
>>> it is something on which you can compute a distance by dist(), you're
>>> right,
>>> at least if dist() delivers the distance you are interested in.
>>>
>>>  2) clustering is the clusters vector as result of one of the many

>>> The help page tells you what clustering can be. So it could be the
>>> clustering/partition vector of a clustering method or it could be
>>> something
>>> else. Note that cluster.stats doesn't depend on any particular clustering
>>> method. It computes the statistics regardless of where the clustering