To get some sort of frequency which in your case seem to be cycles per
distance?  Is a valid use of a fourier transform as long as it is a distance
that is measured in a way that would be analogous to a time series-  In
other words if the distance proceeds from an origin in one direction-
geophysicists do this often with the realization of an earthquake picked up
by sensors that are a distance away from the origin of the epicenter, but
they are looking for coherencies in the signal from one place to the next in
the frequency domain seperated by distance- this is called beam forming-
They use the raw signal-  by binning (making a histogram) the data you are
loosing the signal-  you are looking at frequency of occurance of certain
values not for the underlying periodicities of the data (in time or
space).   You are fitting cos and isin function to you data to see if there
is periodicity-  the power is the integration of the convolution of this sin
and cosine function with your data-  It seems to me meaningless to preform
this convolution agianst something that is not a signal (the histogram).  If
you want to use a frequency domain technique you have to have a frequency to
investigate-  a histogram does not have this-  I is a frequency of occurance
by bin size which is NOT what you want (your would have cycles/binlength
that doesn't make any sense to me) to do this analysis on-  You want a
signal-  dissolved oxygen curve, sunspot record, etc. through time, or
distance as stated above- you are looking for the frequency of a waveform-
Anyway,  I may be misunderstanding- supply some code and explain the data
otherwise this line of though- in my limited expertise- is a dead end,  but
agian I still don't know what it is that you are, exactly, trying to do- and
what your dataset constits.  I hope these ruminations help

I recommend doing this analysis on the raw data- It doesn't matter that you
don't have the same amount of data points- as long as both sets of data have
circa ten times the length of (cycles/distance) what you want to detect-  If
things in your case are spaced by one meter then the lowest cycle
perdistance that you can reliably detect if 0.5 meters,  this is all
speculation because you don't have a problem with reproducible code, and we
have no idea what you are measuring or what your data looks like-  without
this information there is no way that I can say one way or the other that
you approach (suggested non-histogram) would be right or wrong.

Stephen