The cutpoint is on the predictor, so the interpretation is the same as it is for any other rpart model. The subjects with predictor < cutpoint form one group and those > cutpoint the other. The cutpoint is chosen to give the greatest difference in "average y" between the groups. For poisson "averge y" is an event rate.