Jeff et. al (although there are no others so far on this thread).

I finally gave up and decided to use 4.2 below from the "R for Windows FAQ”

4.2 I don’t have permission to write to the R-3.2.2\library directory.

You can install packages anywhere and use the environment variable R_LIBS (see
How do I set environment variables?) to point to the library location(s).

Suppose your packages are installed in p:\myRlib. Then you can EITHER

set the environment variable R_LIBS to p:/myRlib before starting R

OR use a package by, e.g.

library(mypkg, lib.loc="p:/myRlib")

You can also have a personal library, which defaults to the directory
R\win-library\x.y of your home directory for versions x.y.z of R. This location
can be changed by setting the environment variable R_LIBS_USER, and can be
found from inside R by running Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER"). This will only be
used if it exists so you may need to create it: you can use

dir.create(Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER"), recursive = TRUE)

to do so. If you use install.packages and do not have permission to write to
the main or site library, it should offer to create a personal library for you
and install the packages there. This will also happen if update.packages offers
to update packages for you in a library where you do not have write permission.

There can be additional security issues under Windows Vista and later: See Does
R run under Windows Vista?. In particular, the detection that a standard user
has suitable permissions appears to be unreliable under Vista, so we recommend
that you do create a personal directory yourself.

---
KW