This is probably fun to write, but it's been done many times before. For
practical purposes, use the pairwiseAlignment() function in the Biostrings
package, distributed by the bioconductor project.

cf.:
https://www.bioconductor.org/packages/3.3/bioc/vignettes/Biostrings/inst/doc/PairwiseAlignments.pdf

Cheers,
Boris