Posting in HTML makes a mess of your code... learn to post in plain text.

Not sure what you thought you would accomplish by using as.vector... perhaps
you should read the help file ?as.vector.

Did you look at str( dat1 )?

Factors are more closely akin to integers than to characters. Indexing with
factors is the same as indexing with the integers that factors are implemented
with (see the discussion of factors in the Introduction to R document that
comes with R) than indexing with character strings. If you want character
indexing,  use character vectors.

Advice: 98% of the time making a data frame using a matrix causes more damage
than help. Data frames are a list of columns, each of which potentially has its
own storage mode. Matrices are all one type, implemented as a folded vector.
Use named arguments to the data.frame function instead. Also use the
stringsAsFactors = FALSE argument to data.frame unless you know you won't want
character strings.