Hi!

Many thanks to Duncan and Jim for their quick replies.

27.05.2016, 01:08, Jim Lemon wrote:
Hi Kimmo,
par(mar=c(5,7,4,2))
dotchart(kedf$x)
mtext(kedf$Group.2,side=2,at=1:6,line=0.5,
 las=2,cex=log(abs(kedf$Freq))+1)

Jim

This 'dotchart' solution worked fine and I got what I wanted :) However, I still wonder why the same idea does not work with lattice (e.g. using 'scales=list(y=list(cex=log(abs(kedf$Freq))+1))'