On 15/06/16 20:18, Jim Lemon wrote:
Hi Alice,
Have you tried creating a vector of the start position (xpos[1],ypos[1]):

xstart<-rep(xpos[1],n)
ystart<-rep(ypos[1],n)
# where "n" is the number of subsequent positions in the trip
max(trackDistance(xstart,ystart,xpos[2:n],ypos[2:n],...))

may then give you the value of the longest distance from the start. I
don't have the trip package or I could see if you really need to
replicate the start positions.

Jim: This seems to me to be somewhat off the point. The OP was faced with the problem of not being able to access the function homedist(). This function seems *not* to be exported from the trip package, and yet it is a *documented* function which I would assume to imply that users should be able to invoke it directly.

It is possible that in the past the OP was dealing with a version of the trip package that was created before namespaces came into the picture, whence "exporting" was not relevant. I would suggest that the OP contact the package maintainer (maintainer("trip") will give you the email address) and enquire as to what is going on.

In the interim, a workaround *might* be to invoke homedist() as

    trip:::homedist(<whatever>)

Note the *triple* colon in the foregoing. I am not at all familiar with the trip package so my advice should probably be taken with several grains of salt.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS