Dear Eric

I think you are looking for sub or gsub

Without an example set of input and output I am not quite sure but you would need to define an expression which matches your separator (;) followed by any characters up to the end of line. If you have trouble with that then someone here will no doubt write the pattern for you but learning about regular expressions is well worthwhile