x1, y1, z1
x1, y2, z2
x1, yN, zN
x2, y1, z(N+1)
x2, y2, z(N+2)
x2, yN, z(2N)
...and so on...
xM, yN, val(M*N)

I have been trying to figure out how to get R to use this data in a
persp plot.  So far the only thing that I can figure out to do is to
break the data file into three different files.  The first file
contains the x-coordinate data:
x1
x2
xM
The second file contains the data
y1
y2
yN
And finally the last file contains the data for the z-axis.
z1
z2
z(M*N)
Once I have the three data files created I use them in the following R
script:

cat << EOF | R --no-save
def.par <- par(no.readonly = TRUE)

en_range <- c(-6.2, 0.0)
om_range <- c(-200.0, 500.0)
ze_range <- c(0.0, 1.0)
z_perspective <-c(0,3)

xdata <- scan("x.txt", list(0))
ydata <- scan("y.txt", list(0))
zdata <- scan("z.txt", list(0))

f <- function(xdata,ydata) { rr <- zdata; rr }
z <- outer(xdata, ydata, f)

pdf(file="persp.pdf",height = 8, width =8)

persp(xdata, ydata, z, axes = TRUE, nticks = 5, ticktype =
"detailed",r=1.5)

dev.off()

q()

EOF

The problem is that when I look at the plot, the peaks of the zdata
are i
The problem is that when I look at the plot, the peaks of the zdata
are in the wrong places on the x axis.  I have carefully looked over
my data files and I am confident that they are correct.  Thus I
believe that the error is in my R script; most likely in the following
lines

f <- function(xdata,ydata) { rr <- zdata; rr }
z <- outer(xdata, ydata, f)

Do you have any suggestions?

Chad Junkermeier, Graduate Student
Dept. of Physics