> On Aug 10, 2016, at 5:22 AM, Dominik Marti <d...@inik.ch> wrote:
>
> Hej R helpers
>
> The standard in statistical hypothesis testing is to reject the null
> hypothesis that there is a difference between groups, i.e. to "prove" the
> alternative. However, failing to reject the null hypothesis does not prove
> it; its rejection just fails.
>
> Now, as stated in the article "Unicorns do exist: a tutorial on "proving" the
> null hypothesis." by David L Streiner (Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 48(11)
> 2003), we can define the null hypothesis to be that there IS a difference
> (exceeding a certain value, delta), the alternative hypothesis being that
> there is none (or it is at least smaller than delta). If the data now manages
> to reject the null hypothesis (of there being a difference exceeding delta),
> we can say with a certain probability that there is none.
>
> Can I do this test in R? And if yes, any leads?
>
> (In my actual dataset I deal with paired data.)
>
> Best
>   Dominik

Bear in mind that we are not "proving" anything with statistics. There is still
a level of uncertainty in everything we do.

In the scenario above, you are, in essence, reversing the normal approach to
testing a null versus alternative hypothesis. The null, in this case, is that
there is a difference and the alternative being that there is none, within some
pre-defined, acceptable, margin.

In clinical studies, these are called "equivalence" studies or "bioequivalence"
studies, a subset of which are called "non-inferiority" studies, which are
one-sided versions. This is typically done, for example, when testing a generic
version of a drug versus the pre-existing "brand name" version of the drug to
demonstrate that they have equivalent efficacy and safety profiles, within a
clinically acceptable range.

There is at least one R package that is relevant, conveniently called
"equivalence":

  https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/equivalence/

that addresses these scenarios.

Regards,