Apologies for posting a possibly package-specific question, but I'm not sure
whether this is an R or rstan ussue.

Running rstan under R 3.1.1 in windows 10 I get the well-known error
"Compilation ERROR, function(s)/method(s) not created!
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/g++: not found"

The cause on my system is simple; g++ is not on my C:\ drive; it's on D:
My system path correctly points to D:, running

> system('g++ -v')

works fine. But the error message shows that either rstan or R is insisting on
a specific call on C:.

I suspect that something is causing either a package, or R, to use the wrong
drive. It _may_ be related to the fact that R itself is in its usual place in
'C:\Program files'.

Any pointers, either to an answer or to a better place to ask, would be welcome.

Steve Ellison

PS: I can see that there is a _fairly_ simple work-round, but I prefer Rtools
where it is for system management reasons and this is (so far) the only place
that the path variable is not correctly picked up.