If I understand this correctly you are choosing all the rows from each of cod and lnc which contain .c (ie any character followed by a C) and deleting the first column from each of cod and lnc. You then correlate them so that you get the correlation between corresponding columns of each. Since you do not tell us how you know which column is which it is hard to answer the question of how R will know.