On 21.02.2017 18:29, C W wrote:
Dear R list,

I am having a little trouble understanding the R code. I want to compute
expectation of normal pdf.

I did the following:

integrate(x*dnorm(x, rate=1), -Inf, Inf)

integrate needs a function as first argument, hence:

 integrate(function(x) x*dnorm(x, rate=1), -Inf, Inf)

and then you have the next error that is more obvious to fix...

Error in match.fun(f) : object 'x' not found

If I did this, I get,
integrate(dexp(x, rate=1), -Inf, Inf)
Error in dexp(x, rate = 1) : object 'x' not found

same here.

How should I fix this? I remember when I did it for curve(), it was fine.

curve(pexp(x, rate = 1/2), from = 0, to = 5)

curve() is an exception in that it can use an unevaluated  function call.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

What am I not getting here? Thank you so much!