File encodings differ when you move outside of standard ASCII code. Not really
R's problem, but it is a fly in the ointment when teaching classes with mixed
laptop armoury and there are also differences between classroom and desktop
computers. RStudio does have features to switch encodings, but I usually
sidestep the issue by commenting scripts in English.

-pd

> On 31 Mar 2017, at 05:40 , Boris Steipe <boris.ste...@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> I can't remember having seen my students write code that runs correctly on
> one platform but not the other. Obviously under the hood there are
> significant differences, but as far as code goes, R seems quite foolproof.
> There are GUI differences in base R - but AFAIK no such differences in the
> RStudio IDE.
>
> B.
>

>> On Mar 30, 2017, at 9:21 PM, Neil Salkind <neiljsalk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can someone please direct me to an answer to the question as to how R
>> differs for these two operating systems, if at all? Thanks - Neil

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23
Email: pd....@cbs.dk  Priv: pda...@gmail.com