Well,...

cat() is as Jeff describes.

However, print() is a generic function (see ?UseMethod) for which
there are literally hundreds of different methods that may do far
more/different than merely output character strings. For example, the
print method for trellis objects, print.trellis, draws a graph of the
object.

The print method  called for print(10) is the default method, for
which ?print.default should be consulted: it is actually printing a
vector of length 1, and the print method for vectors labels each line
with the index of the first item printed.

Please read An Intro to R or other R tutorial to learn about S3 methods.

Cheers,
Bert
Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."