Hi,  dear R experts ,
  I am new. I met this problem when I am trying to learn how to use
the  nlminb() function. I tried the example which the document
provides ( as the following code ) and R gives no response . I don't
know whether it is running or not and it takes a very long time but
still output nothing  so I just close the session window. my question
is is there any method that I can see the running status of a R
program or what can I do if R gives no response??? thank you in advance.
here is my sessionInfo

i386-apple-darwin8.10.1

locale:
zh_CN.UTF-8/zh_CN.UTF-8/C/C/zh_CN.UTF-8/zh_CN.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] mclust_3.1-5
x <- rnbinom(100, mu = 10, size = 10)
hdev <- function(par) {
     -sum(dnbinom(x, mu = par[1], size = par[2], log = TRUE))
}
nlminb(c(9, 12), hdev)
Peng Jiang 江鹏 ,Ph.D. Candidate
Antai College of Economics & Management
安泰经济管理学院
Department of Mathematics
数学系
Shanghai Jiaotong University (Minhang Campus)
800 Dongchuan Road
200240 Shanghai
P. R. China