On 10/25/2017 4:38 AM, Ista Zahn wrote:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 3:05 PM, BooBoo <boo...@gforcecable.com> wrote:
This has every appearance of being a bug. If it is not a bug, can someone
tell me what I am asking for when I ask for "x[x[,2]==0,]". Thanks.
You are asking for elements of x where the second column is equal to zero.

help("==")

and

help("[")

explain what happens when missing values are involved. I agree that
the behavior is surprising, but your first instinct when you discover
something surprising should be to read the documentation, not to post
to this list. After having read the documentation you may post back
here if anything remains unclear.

Best,
Ista

#here is the toy dataset
x <- rbind(c(1,1),c(2,2),c(3,3),c(4,0),c(5,0),c(6,NA),
+   c(7,NA),c(8,NA),c(9,NA),c(10,NA)
+ )
       [,1] [,2]
  [1,]    1    1
  [2,]    2    2
  [3,]    3    3
  [4,]    4    0
  [5,]    5    0
  [6,]    6   NA
  [7,]    7   NA
  [8,]    8   NA
  [9,]    9   NA
[10,]   10   NA
#it contains rows that have NA's
x[is.na(x[,2]),]
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]    6   NA
[2,]    7   NA
[3,]    8   NA
[4,]    9   NA
[5,]   10   NA
#seems like an unreasonable answer to a reasonable question
x[x[,2]==0,]
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]    4    0
[2,]    5    0
[3,]   NA   NA
[4,]   NA   NA
[5,]   NA   NA
[6,]   NA   NA
[7,]   NA   NA
#this is more what I was expecting
x[which(x[,2]==0),]
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]    4    0
[2,]    5    0

I wanted to know if this was a bug so that I could report it if so. You say it is not, so you answered my question. As far as me not reading the documentation, I challenge anyone to read the cited help pages and predict the observed behavior based on the information given in those pages.