> On May 4, 2018, at 12:04 AM, sunyeping <sunyep...@aliyun.com> wrote:

> dev.new() function cannot be correctly set?
>

> > On May 3, 2018, at 6:28 PM, sunyeping via R-help <r-help@r-project.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > When I check the size of the plot region usingdev.size("in")a new plot
> > region is produced and in the Rconsole I get[1] 5.333333 5.322917
>
> Your test is all mangleed together. You failed in your duty to read the list
> info and the Posting guide . NO HTML!
>
> > If I mean to produce a plot region with size setting
> > bydev.new(length=3,width=3)a plot region is produced, but the size is
> > [2.281250, 5.322917], as detected by the de.size function. If I
> > type:dev.new(length=10,width=10)I get a plot region of with the size of
> > [7.614583, 5.322917]. It seems that the width of the new plot region cannot
> > be set, and tt is always 5.322917. The length of the new plot region can be
> > set, but it is always smaller that the values I set.What do I miss? What is
> > the correct way of setting the dimension of the new plot region? I will be
> > grateful to any help.Best regards,
>
> The size of the device is not the size of the plot region. You need to take
> into account the margins. See ?par
>
> Thank you, David.
> I have read the par() document. Clearly the size of the plot region is
> smaller than or equal to the divice size. However, if I produce a graphic
> device with dev.new (length, width) or other functions, I find the largest
> width of the new device is always 5.3 inches whatever the values I set, and
> the length of it is alway smaller than what I set. Could you tell me how to
> produce a graphic divice with correct size that I set? I need this function
> because the graphic divice cannot accomendate all of the graph I make with
> some of plot tools such as ggtree. In ggtree plot, part of the tree tips
> label are invisible (https://www.dropbox.com/s/87gyusx7ay1xxu8/tree.pdf?dl=0)
> even I set "par(mar=rep(0,4))". So I think I must plot the tree on a larger
> graphic device.

- The argument to give dev.new is 'height', not 'length'.

- There are two margins, an inner margin (controlled by `mar`) and an outer
margin (controlled by `oma`).

- The link to the dropbox image does demonstrate that you are having problems
with your ggplot efforts, but it wasn't a link to any test data or the code
used to produce that tree, so I'm not in a position to do any testing to offer
refinements. From the red/bold highlighting in the HTML copy I got directly
(that none of the other viewers are seeing)  I can see you are frustrated, but
you need to take responsibility for writing a message that is being mangled. We
readers of the this plain-text-only mailing list were seeing it.

- Please read the Posting Guide about the need to information about your
specific computer setup and the value of a reproducible example. I suggest you
should be learning to use the png or pdf devices. Read ?Devices and ?png. (The
default units are not inches.).

> Best regards.
>

> >  [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

- It appears that your second message was also sent as HTML. I do therefore ask
(again) that you take the time to read the Posting Guide.

\/\/\/\/A message that appears in every message sent from Rhelp's list server

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
-Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law