I think you are missing a parenthesis around your condition [1][2].

For future reference:
a) You should post the code you ran as well as the error message... it is
unusual for the error message alone to be enough to figure out the problem. In
fact, try to make a "reproducible example" [3][4][5]... you will increase your
chances of getting an answer.
b) Your message was garbled... in some cases this can completely obscure your
question. You can prevent that from happening by setting your email program to
create a plain text email whenever you post here.
c) Remember to put a subject line on your email.

[1] https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/Control.html
[2]
https://www-r--bloggers-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.r-bloggers.com/control-structures-loops-in-r/
[3]