Hi there,

I'm sure there's an easy answer to this, and I can't wait to see it.

The question: is there an easy way to sort a data frame by it's row names?

My dilemma:

I've had to pull apart a data frame, run it through a loop to do some
calculations and generate new variables, and then re-construct the chunks
back into a data frame at the end.

Doing this preserves the row names from the original data frame (which are
informative), so i thought this would make it easy to bring it back to it's
original order.

However, to do this, I've had to include the row names as a column, and then
sort by that at the end, which seems terribly redundant and makes me think
there's an easier way to do this.

See some example code below:

###########################
#build a dataframe

set.seed(12345)
a<-sample(1:50, 15)
b<-15:1
c<-rep(1:3, 5)

ex.dat<-data.frame(a,b,c)

#pull it apart; in my case, each chunk is going through a loop and being
spit out in a list

sub3<-subset(ex.dat, c=="3")
sub2<-subset(ex.dat, c=="2")
sub1<-subset(ex.dat, c=="1")

#put it back together; in my case, pull out the parts of the list generated
by the loop that hold the data

newdat<-rbind(sub3, sub2, sub1)

#rebuild it such that it can be re-organized into it's original order

rn<-as.numeric(row.names(newdat))

new2<-data.frame(newdat, rn)

new3 = new2[do.call(order, new2["rn"]), ]

######################

It's those last three lines of code that I'm sure are unnecessary; why
include a column of information for something that's already there? However,
most of the posted solutions to sorting of data frames have to do with
sorting by particular variables, not by the row names (which are just
typically 1:n, and is rarely informative). So, this is the solution I came
up with based on what I can find out there currently.

Looking forward to any thoughts or suggestions.

--
Michael D. Rennie
Ph.D. Candidate