On Mon, 3 Sep 2018, David L Carlson wrote:

If the plot is being displayed on a monitor, it is being bitmapped to the
resolution of the display device regardless of how you save it. Most
computer monitors are about 100dpi.

David,

  I'm looking at the report on the monitor. I suspect that most readers
will, too. But, some will print it.

If the problem is that the points are overprinting, Bert's suggestion to
use hexbin() is the way to go.

  Most look like overprints, but at the top there are discrete print
characters.

If the points are not substantially overprinting, you could just save the
plot in raster format using an lzh compressed tif() or png() to the
maximum likely resolution of the display device (take zooming into account
by going up to 600dpi or 1200dpi, for example). Don't use jpg since it is
lossy and you will get halos when you zoom in.

  I used convert to produce .png images but, of course, bit-maps of plots
and text are less sharp than are vector images.

You can always preserve a vector version for publication. If you have
Adobe Acrobat (not Reader), you can Save As Other | Image | tiff (or png)
and set the resolution before exporting.

  'convert', the ImageMagick tool, does this, too.

Thanks,

Rich