If we knew an elegant one, we'd have an R function to do it ...

The R Logo was done "manually" (using software) in several
phases IIRC.
But yes, indeed, an 'Rfont' package on CRAN would be neat...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich and R Core Team.

I am not sur of what would be neat : a police with nice letter that have a border ? I do not know how to change a drawing in a police, but making the drawing of the police is not that hard (well I know that I am the one who ask, but it was only to avoid to work on Gimp again, because I did not for a long time and I thaught that I forget almost every thing... I was wrong)

With Gimp (which is the free version of photoshop) :

http://christophe.genolini.free.fr/kml/images/alphaRouge.jpg
http://christophe.genolini.free.fr/kml/images/alphaBleu.jpg
http://christophe.genolini.free.fr/kml/images/alphaVert.jpg
http://christophe.genolini.free.fr/kml/images/alphaBlanc.jpg