R2.7.1, WinXP

Hi,

My question is probably easy to answer, but I can't seem to solve it myself.
I need to read in a large number of datasets that were generated by another (old) software program. Each data file contains a bunch of additional code generated by the external software. It lists the data per respondent. So first the data for respondent 1, then the data for respondent 2, et cetera. After the data for the final respondent, the file contains a , followed by some zeroes. R now needs to read the data until the  symbol. However, whenever it encounters the  symbol it interprets it as a quit command! So, rather than continuing, R wants to quit on me. How can I make R see the  symbol as just a particular symbol and NOT as the command to q()?

Thanks, Roger

ps. I hope the symbol is readable in the various email programs