Hi Stefano,

My package, vectools, is partly designed for this purpose.
(Unfortunately, the package *is* subject to *change*, and some of the
functions may change in the next update).

library (vectools)
which.maxs (x, ret.type="intervals")[,1] # c (8, 10, 13)
which.mins (x, ret.type="intervals")[,2] # c (4, 9, 12, 16)

best,
B.

P.S.
I'll make sure the next version has an option for the lower/upper index.