Thanks for the question.  Two things:

** 1.  TRY THE DEVELOPMENT VERSION OBTAINABLE AS FOLLOWS:

install.packages('devtools') # if it's not installed

library(devtools)

install_github("sbgraves237/sos")

library(sos)

 z <- findFn("spline", maxPages = 2)

# This should work.

** 2.  PLEASE PROVIDE:

sessionInfo()

"findFn('spline')" just worked for me using both the CRAN and development versions of sos. (2.1-0 from CRAN under Windows 10; 2.1- from GitHub under macOS 11.4; both with R 4.1.0).

I need to push the GitHub version to CRAN. However, it would help me if I understood your configuration and if the GitHub version fixes the problem for you.

          Thanks for the report.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

          Spencer Graves