Yes. This kind of issue is covered in any decent undergraduate course in
numerical methods... it is not specific to R. It is also related to FAQ 7.31.
 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root-finding_algorithms

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating-point_arithmetic#Representable_numbers,_conversion_and_rounding