Dear Brian,

On 2021-09-13 9:33 a.m., Brian Lunergan wrote:
Hi folks:

I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 on my machine. Tried to install a more
recent edition of R but I couldn't seem to get it working so I pulled it
off and went with a good, basic install of the edition available through
the software manager. So... I'm running version 3.4.4.

Mucking about with the attempt at a newer edition seems to have left
some excess baggage behind. When I loaded R Commander and attempted to
run it I received the following error message.

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘car’ in readRDS(pfile):
  cannot read workspace version 3 written by R 3.6.2; need R 3.5.0 or newer
During startup - Warning message:
package ‘Rcmdr’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found

I get a similar message in Rkward when I try to load any more packages.

Is there any solution for this? Any "leftovers" I can track down and
delete? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to know exactly how many things are wrong here, but one problem seems to be that you saved the R workspace in the newer version of R, and that the older version is trying to load the saved workspace, which is an incompatible format.

The workspace is probably saved in the file .RData in your R home directory. If that's the case, then you should see a message to this effect when R starts up. I'd begin by simply deleting this file.

Then, if the Rcmdr package fails to load with an error indicating that car or another package is missing, I'd try installing the missing package(s).

Finally, you might be better off persevering in your attempt to install the current version of R rather than the quite old version that you're trying get working.

I hope this helps,
 John

Kind regards...