Those are good points, Duncan. I am experimenting with a nice checkpointing
tool called DMTCP. It operates on the system level but is quite OS-dependent.
It can be found at http://dmtcp.sourceforge.net/index.html.

Still, it would be nice to be able to checkpoint calls within R to potentially
long-running processes like optim().

-Andy