Dear Chris,

I took a quick look at your document. You might be interested in Friendly, Monette, and Fox, Elliptical Insights: Understanding Statistical Methods through Elliptical Geometry, Statistical Science 2013, 28: 1–39, which is available at <https://arxiv.org/pdf/1302.4881.pdf>. I probably should cite that paper in ?car::ellipse.

Best,
John

On 2022-01-15 12:00 p.m., Chris Evans wrote:
This spurred me on to clarify my own understanding of these ellipses (and of
ellipsoid hulls) and led to:

https://www.psyctc.org/Rblog/posts/2022-01-15-data-ellipses-and-confidence-ellipses/

And I am, decidedly nervously, putting it here in case it's useful to you Paul
or
to anyone else.  I think I have the basic ideas correct but of course, if any
proper
statisticians have corrections, I would love to receive them, off list probably
unless the errors are terrible.  I am entirely self-taught as a statistician,
much
of what I've learned has come from probably over 10, perhaps nearer 20 years on
this
list.  Thanks to all for all the work to maintain the list and contribute to it.

Chris