Hello,

Here are 3 functions that do what the question asks for. The first 2 are tidyverse solutions, the last one a base R function.

I don't understand why the group_by and mutate, that's why I've included a 2nd tidyverse function. And the base R function follows the same lines of outputing the table only without data transformation.

And the test dataset is not iris, it only has one factor variable. It doesn't make sense to table a continuous variable such as Petal.Width.

The data set mtcars has several numeric variables that are in fact categorical ("vs", "am") and one, "cyl", that can be tabled. The examples below use mtcars.

f3 <- function(data, ...){
  groups <- unlist(list(...))
  temp <- data %>%
    select(all_of({{groups}})) %>%
    group_by(across(all_of({{groups}}))) %>%
    mutate(numbering = row_number(), max = n())
  temp %>%
    select(all_of({{groups}})) %>%
    table()
}

f4 <- function(data, ...){
  groups <- unlist(list(...))
  data %>%
    select(all_of({{groups}})) %>%
    table()
}

f5 <- function(data, ...){
  temp <- lapply(list(...), \(col) data[[col]])
  table(setNames(temp, list(...)))
}

f3(mtcars, "am", "cyl")
f4(mtcars, "am", "cyl")