Hi all,
Is there an equivalent to the general * operator in R, where * can
represent any character?
  I have a dataset, one column being date, date ranging between
April-September, 97-06. I would like to be able to acquire the data for
a specific month, say September, so that I can take average temperatures
for the month, etc. I thought I would be able to do something like
data.s1 <- subset(data,date=="**-Sep-**")
data.s1
but when I do
data.s1
I get "0 rows or 0-length row.names".
  Any idea of a simple way I can perform this task?
All dates are in the form xx-xxx-xx, EG 30-Sep-06.
Thanks for any assistance.

Robin Williams
Met Office summer intern - Health Forecasting
[EMAIL PROTECTED]