Another situation for the presence of 0 is about dosage when concentration is below the detection limit. It is not necessary to discretize the data. We propose a method here: Salvat-Leal I, Cortés-Gómez AA, Romero D, Girondot M (2022) New method for imputation of unquantifiable values using Bayesian statistics for a mixture of censored or truncated distributions: Application to trace elements measured in blood of olive ridley sea turtles from mexico. Animals 2022: 2919 doi 10.3390/ani12212919
with R code.
If the data has "true" 0, the gamma distribution is not the best choice as 0 is impossible with gamma distribution.

Marc